Cartwright Street.-South out of Royal Mint Street, at 29, to Upper East Smithfield, at 31 (P.O. Directory).
Formerly (in O.S. 1880) extended only to Cartwright Square and Crown Court, but when these streets were removed for the erection of the industrial dwellings by the Metropolitan Industrial Dwellings' Co., Ltd., in 1884, Cartwright Street was prolonged into Upper East Smithfield.
Former names : "Churchyard Alley" (17 Chas. II. Midd. Sess. Rolls, III. 371-Rocque, 1746). "Cartridge street in rosemary lane," called also "Church-head street" (New Review, 1728, and W. Stow, 1722), and the two names seem to have been in use interchangeably until the end of the 18th century.
The name "Churchyard Alley" is interesting, as suggesting the proximity of the street in early days to the church of the convent of St. Mary Graces, the abbey of Eastminster, which stood on the site now occupied by the Royal Mint.