Church Row, Aldgate High Street.-North out of Aldgate High Street, on the north and east sides of St. Botolph's Church and churchyard, to Houndsditch (P.O. Directory). In Portsoken Ward.
Former names : "Church Lane." "Crown Inn."
In O. and M. 1677, and Rocque, 1746, "Church Lane" is shown on the north side of the church, while in O. and M. the "Crown Inn" stands on the eastern side of the churchyard, this site being already occupied by "Church Row" in Rocque, 1746.
In Rocque, the passage on the north side of the church led into a Carpenter's Yard, called "Wood Yard" and also into a Stable Yard.
It is unnecessary to insist on the origin of the name, which is obviously derived from the proximity of the street to St. Botolph's Church.
Church Row.-South out of Fenchurch Street, west of the church of St. Katherine Coleman to Fenchurch Street Station (P.O. Directory). In Aldgate Ward.
First mention : Lockie, 1810.
Former names : "Church Court" (Horwood, 1799). "Magpye Alley" (Strype 1720-L. Guide, 1758).
Named from its proximity to the church.
Church Row.-"Le Churche Row" within Great St. Bartholomew's Close, 36 H. VIII. (L. and P. H. VIII. XIX. (1), p. 376).
One of the entrances to the Church of St. Bartholomew the Great.
Church Row.-East out of Walbrook to Mansion House Place, north of St. Stephen Walbrook. In Walbrook Ward.
First mention : "Church Court" (Lockie, 1810-Elmes, 1831). Between Nos. 5 and 6 Walbrook.