Church Street, Minories.-East out of the Minories, leading to Holy Trinity, Minories Church (P.O. Directory).
Former names : "Little Minories" (Hatton, 1708 ; Strype, ed. 1720 and 1755 ; Rocque, 1746 ; London Guide, 1758). "Little Church Street," otherwise the "Church Passage," 1771 (Act for paving, lighting, etc., parish of Holy Trinity, Minories, quoted in Tomlinson's History of the Minories, p. 344).
Its earlier name commemorates the fact that the buildings occupied part of the site of the Abbey of the Order of St. Clare without Aldgate, called the Nuns Minoresses, while its present designation is derived from the Church of Holy Trinity situated at its eastern end.