Dorset Court.-East out of Dorset Street at Nos. 15 and 16 (P.O. Directory). In Farringdon Ward Without.
First mention : O. and M. 1677.
It was formerly known as Salisbury Court, and the site was occupied by a large house built and inhabited by the Earls of Dorset. Shown on Leake's map, 1666. The house on being pulled down was converted into buildings, and formed Dorset Street, Dorset Court, etc.
It was a Liberty to itself, and claimed to be exempt from the jurisdiction of the City. No arrests were to be made within the precincts.
Lord Bacon resided in the Court at one time.
The site was originally occupied by the inn or town house of the Bishops of Salisbury.
Dorset Court.-Out of Gunpowder Alley, Shoe Lane. In Farringdon Ward Without (Strype, ed. 1755-Boyle, 1799).
Not named in the maps.