George and Catherine Wheel Alley.-East out of Bishopsgate at No. 260 (P.O. Directory). In Bishopsgate Ward Without.
First mention : Lockie, 1810.
Other names : "George Wheel Alley" (O.S. 1875 and 1880). "Catherine Wheel and George Yard," "Katherine Wheel and George Alley" (O. and M. 1677-Boyle, 1799). "Rose Alley" (Rocque, 1746).
In P.C. 1732 there are two courts here out of Bishopsgate named "Catherine Wheel court" and "George yard" respectively, and it is probable that different portions of the court were known originally by the two distinct names, and that in course of time one or other of the names began to be used for the whole court, and finally the two were used together as one name.
There was an inn of the same name here (Lockie, 1810).