Lower East Smithfleld.-West from Little Thames Street to the Hermitage Swing Bridge and Basin (P.O. Directory).
In the eighteenth century the street of this name ran south from Butcher Row (Hatton, 1708) and during the second half of the century at any rate extended to Burr Street only. This portion of the street was removed for the formation of St. Katherine's Docks. During this period the eastern continuation of the street from Burr Street to Hermitage Dock Side was called "Little Thames Street" (Rocque, 1746-Horwood, 1799).
Called also "Lower Street," East Smithfield (London Guide, 1758).
Street was widened 1872-9 under Metropolitan Street Improvement Act, 1872, by setting back portions of the northern and southern sides (London Street Improvements, 1855-97, p. 43).