Bear Quay.-Between Porter's Quay east and New Bear Quay west (Act Parlt. 1559-Lockie, 1810).
Other names : "Great Bear Quay" (O. and M. 1677-Strype, ed. 1755). "Old Bear Quay" (Lockie, 1810).
Called in W. Stow 1722 and in Strype, ed. 1755 (p.817) "the great Corn Market by Billingsgate."
Named from the bere or barley brought to the quay for brewing purposes (Dodsley,1761).
See Wycherley's Yard.
Site now occupied by the Custom House.