Alderman Stairs.-On the Thames at East Smithfield, between Millerís Wharf west and Carron Wharf east.
First mention: Rocque, 1746.
Forms of name: " Alderman Parsons Stairs" (Rocque, 1746-Elmes, 1831). " Parsonís Stairs" (Horwood, 1799-Greenwood, 1827). "Lady Parsonís Stairs" (Elmes, 1831). " Alderman Stairs" (O.S.). " Personís Yard " (Strype, ed. 1720).
Name derived, as Elmes (Topographical Dictionary, 1831) suggests, from a former owner.
Sir John Parsons was Alderman of Portsoken Ward 1687. Humphrey Parsons, Alderman, 1721-41, and Sir John Parsons, Fishmonger, M. 1704, is described as a son of Ö Parsons of St. Katherineís, Brewer (Strype, ed. 1720, II. Bk. V.p. 152).