Brook's Wharf.-On the south side of Upper Thames Street, at No. 48 (P.O. Directory). In Queenhithe Ward, between Broken Wharf and Queenhithe Wharf, near Bread Street Hill.
First mention : A messuage, two cottages and a wharf called "Broke Wharffe alias Bockyng Wharffe" in parish of St. Michael at Queenhithe, 23 H. VIII. 1531 (L. and P. VIII. V. 286).
Later records : In the next year the wharf by the name of "Brookes Warfe" alias "Dockynges Wharfe" was granted to the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem (24 H. VIII. and P. V. 581). "D" probably an error for "B."
After the dissolution of the monasteries it was granted to Thomas Broke, 36 H. VIII. 1544, described as a great messuage in the parish of St. Michael Queenhithe extending from Poddyng Lane West to the tenement of St. Mary Graces Abbey east and from Tymberhithe streate to the Thames, with the structures therein known as Marolowes Key, Dockinges Key and Brokes Key (L. and P. H. VIII. XIX. (2), p. 69).
"Brook's Wharf," 1678 (L. and P. Chas. II. XIX. p. 627). In Strype called "Brookers Wharf."
There can be little doubt that these names commemorate the various owners, who held the wharf or wharves from time to time, as it was the common practice for these wharves to be designated by the names of their respective owners.