John Cary (c1754-1835). The most prolific and in many ways the greatest English map-maker and publisher of the eighteenth century was John Cary. He was born about 1754 and in 1770 was apprenticed to William Palmer, engraver, of New Street Square, London.
Cary set up in business as an engraver and map and print seller in 1783 at 188 Strand, moving eight years later to 181 Strand. On 17 January, 1820 the shop and most of its contents were destroyed by fire and Cary transferred his business to 86 St. James's Street, taking his brother George into partnership.
(Printed Maps of London circa 1553-1850 second edition by James Howgego, permission being sought)