To return to your previous display close this window - click on the X in the top right corner
LEGEND: (The legend displayed in the image is from the plate used as a source for the image in this database and may differ from the legend in the text description. The latter is from London Illustrated 1604-1851 and based on the examples researched for that book.) 13 (bottom left) The Club Houses &c. Pall Mall. T. THOMAS SHOTTER Boys del et lith. 315 x 448mm. In Pall Mall one may still imagine oneself in Boys's London. Of the club houses on the right only Sir Robert Smirke's Carlton Club, of 1835-6, has been replaced. Beyond all the buildings survive: Sir Charles Barry's Reform Club of 1837-41, just completed when the lithograph was made, his earlier Travellers' Club of 1829-31, Decimus Burton's Athenaeum of 1827-30, and Nash's United Services Club of 1827 which Burton was about to transform into a building worthy of its Waterloo Place partner. Closing the vista, as they still do, are the modest dome of the National Gallery and the spire of St Martin in the Fields. Only the private houses on the N. side of the street have been swept away in favour of larger units.